Purpose and Role
The PLWG will facilitate a partnered approach by State and Local Government to achieving the shared vision for Western Australia’s public library service of providing:
The purpose of the PLWG is to promote innovative thinking about public library services, identify trends and promote strategic opportunities to realise the goals of the Agreement.
The objectives of the PLWG are to:
• Provide advice to State and Local government on public library policy and strategy.
• Lead research and planning for the future development of the public library service network in Western Australia.
• Offer a communication mechanism or consultative framework for government and non-government stakeholders implementing initiatives that affect the delivery of public library services to the Western Australian community.
Current Working Group
In 2020, the PLWG Terms of Reference were revised and endorsed by PLWG. The group will be expanded to include a representative from the Office of Digital Government and the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development, together with a representative from regional local government in Tier 2. The group will be focusing on:
- Providing advice to State and Local Government on public library policy and strategy;
- Offer a communication mechanism and consultative framework for government and non-government stakeholders implementing initiatives that impact on the delivery of public library services; and
- Lead research and planning for a new strategy for the public library network.
The first meeting of the refocused PLWG was held in early 2021.
Working Group 2018 to 2020
For more than 70 years, the State Library of Western Australia has partnered with local governments across Western Australia to deliver public library services. In 2020, a new partnership agreement was signed with Local Government for the provision of these services. Under this agreement, the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries (DLGSC) convenes the Public Libraries Working Group (PLWG) with representatives from the DLGSC, SLWA, WALGA, and Public Libraries WA to oversee the implementation of public library strategies.