The State Library contains valuable collections which require protection from theft and pests.
- Large bags, suitcases and other large items are permitted on the Ground Floor if they do not obstruct walkways or constitute a hazard.
- Small to medium sized bags of any kind may be brought onto all levels except the Leah Jane Cohen Reading Room on Level 3. The State Library is not liable for any loss or damage to valuables or personal property.
- Venue hire clients and Studio 001 members may keep larger bags with them. A venues sticker must be worn by clients carrying large bags / items above the Ground Floor.
- Skateboards and scooters are permitted to be carried securely or walked in the case of electric scooters; they must not be ridden.
- Bicycles may not be brought into the Library; racks are available outside the James Street entrance.
- Supermarket shopping trolleys may not be brought into the Library.
The Library reserves the right to dispose of unclaimed items or hand them to police.
A room for parents with babies is located on the Ground Floor. The room has a place for nursing mothers and a change table. Please speak to our Welcome Desk staff on the Ground Floor if you need to access this room.
Male and female toilets are available on all levels, except the Mezzanine.
- A unisex accessible toilet is available on the Ground Floor of the State Library, in the Theatre foyer area..
- Male and female disabled toilets are available on the First, Second and Third floors. These are individual cubicles in the regular toilets and are not wheelchair accessible.