To define the State Library policy for the management and safeguarding of personal information.
The policy applies to all personal information collected from individuals by the Library for the purpose of undertaking library activities.
Personal information of Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries employees falls outside the scope of this policy.
Personal information is information about an individual, whose identity is apparent or can be reasonably ascertained from the information.
As part of its need to provide services to clients and to enhance the safety and security of staff, library clients and property, the Library may obtain personal information. This information comes from a number of sources including:
- Client registration information required to access library services;
- Donor information;
- Commercial transactions such as venue hire and photographic purchases;
- CCTV for security monitoring purposes within the State Library building;
- Computer logs which record data on clients who access a State Library website such as the Internet Provider (IP) address of the client and the URLs requested;
- Computer logs which record data on clients who access websites from a SLWA public computer such as the URLs requested; and
- Business communications with clients via letter, email and other means.
4. Policy Statement
Manager Client Services and Director Strategic and Corporate Services
- Membership Policy
- Ombudsman Western Australia “Guidelines for the Management of Personal Information”
7. Authorisation and Review
Approved Library Board 7 November 2019