The purpose of this Policy is to define the conditions under which materials can be lent from the State Library collection to other institutions or organisations, typically for exhibition. The State Library of Western Australia recognises there may be other valid reasons for lending collection items and will consider these on a case-by-case basis.
This policy applies to all Library Board of Western Australia collections.
The State Library seeks to balance its commitment to preserving and protecting its collections and providing services that are in keeping with the needs of the community it serves.
The primary collecting purpose of the State Library is to acquire Western Australian documentary heritage materials and make them accessible for future generations.
The State Library recognises the importance of lending items to other institutions to promote its collections and provide opportunities for engagement and collaboration.
4. Policy Statement
It is the policy of the Library Board of Western Australia that the State Library of Western Australia will make materials available for temporary loan to other institutions for the purpose of exhibition and display except where:
- physical condition or rarity prevent the material being made available for loan, or
- the exhibition conditions described by the borrowing institution and/or the availability of suitably qualified staff are inadequate for ensuring the protection of the material, or
- the State Library’s own exhibition or project requirements, or ability to resource preparation of the loan, prevent the material being made available at the requested time.
The State Library reserves the right to refuse loan of any material for any other reason it deems fit.
The State Library of Western Australia Loan Agreement and Conditions must be agreed to by the borrowing institution as part of the loans process.
When original materials cannot be loaned, a copy may be created and made available, at the discretion of the State Library.
Director Collection Services – policy content and implementation.
CEO and State Librarian – approval of all loan requests.
- State Library of Western Australia Loan Agreement and Conditions
- Loan Request Condition Report – for print and non-print items
- Procedure and Workflow – Loan Requests for State Library Collection Items
7. Authorisation and Review
First approved: Library Board 7 July 2022
Next review date: Three years from Library Board approval
CIU file: 22/214