Are you looking for some excellent winter reading?
On Thursday 17 July 2021 the Culture and the Arts Minister David Templeman announced the shortlists for the 2020 Western Australian Premier's Book Awards. The Daisy Utemorrah Award for Unpublished Indigenous Junior and Young Adult Fiction is open to indigenous writers from across Australia and administered by Magabala Books with support from the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries.
Congratulations to everyone on the shortlist for the 2020 Western Australian Premier’s Book Awards!
The Premier’s Prize for an Emerging Writer
- Father of the Lost Boys by Yuot A. Alaak (Fremantle Press)
- Fathoms: The World in the Whale by Rebecca Giggs (Scribe Publications)
- A Question of Colour by Pattie Lees and Adam C. Lees (Magabala Books)
- We Can't Say We Didn't Know by Sophie McNeill (ABC Books: An imprint of HarperCollins Publishers)
- The Salt Madonna by Catherine Noske (Pan Macmillan Australia)
The Premier’s Prize for Writing for Children
- How to Make a Bird - Written by Meg McKinlay and Illustrated by Matt Ottley (Walker Books Australia)
- Littlelight by Kelly Canby (Fremantle Press)
- Shirley Purdie: My Story, Ngaginybe Jarragbe by Shirley Purdie (Magabala Books)
- Across The Risen Sea by Bren MacDibble (Allen & Unwin)
- Willy-willy Wagtail: Tales from the Bush Mob by Helen Milroy (Magabala Books)
The Daisy Utemorrah Award for Unpublished Indigenous Junior and YA Fiction
- Home is Calling - Natasha Leslie
- Dirran - Carl Merrison and Hakea Hustler
The Western Australian Writer’s Fellowship ($60,000)
- Amanda Bridgeman
- Donna Mazza
- Jon Doust
- Madelaine Dickie
- Sisonke Msimang