John Boyle O'Reilly
Fenian transported to WA
There are many records listed in AN 5/Police Station and AN 17/Courthouse, the Series Registration System and the State Records Office catalogue which give the names of prisoners, criminals and people on trial in specific towns and districts. Some records have been listed below. They can contain such information as name, number, offence, sentence, committing magistrate, districts from, marital status, literacy, dates of admission and discharge, how disposed of, age, nationality, birth place, religion, trade, remarks. Also see the heading Fremantle Prison for records relating to that prison.
- AU WA S3234 cons364 88: Albany Police Station. Convict Lists 1862-1868
Nominal list of probation prisoners transferred from the establishments at Fremantle and Perth to Albany road parties.
- AU WA S679 cons4197 1: Albany Prison. Register of Prisoners in Albany Gaol 1901-1966
Includes men and women and can show name, number, description, offence, sentence, magistrate, district, marital status, if literate, age, nationality, birthplace, religion, occupation and dates of admission, committal and discharge.
- AU WA S796 cons4206 1-2: Fremantle Prison. Card Index of inmates of Albany Prison 1901-1966
Albany Road, 36 Mile Police Station
- AU WA S1216 cons696 2: Return of prisoners confined in Police lock up 1882-1889 36 Mile and Jarrahdale
- AU WA S4757 cons1615 21: Broomehill Police Station. Register of prisoners confined in gaol 1893-1910
These items are held in the State Records Office collections.
- ACC 410/37: Busselton Police Station. Register of local prisoners 1898-1918
- ACC 410/38: Busselton Police Station. Nominal return of prisoners discharged 1901-1906
- ACC 410/47: Busselton Police Station. Register of inmates 1893-1914, 1923-1939
- AU WA S1571 cons786 42: Clerk of Courts Cue. Criminal Record Book 1894-1922
Details include name of prisoner or defendant, crime or offence, verdict, date of conviction and sentence passed.
- AU WA S1674 cons5232 1: Clerk of Courts Cue. Criminal Calendar 1923-1954
Has names of accused, offence, names of witnesses and remarks.
- AU WA S270 cons3676 1-21: Court of Quarter Sessions. Quarterly Returns of Prisoners 1835-1855
Details include name, offence, when committed, sentence, conduct in gaol and remarks. Mostly Fremantle Gaol.
- AU WA S676 cons4187 1-14: Geraldton Prison. Registers of Local Prisoners 1903-1952, 1956-1972
Details include name, nationality, place of birth, age, physical details, marital status, religion, occupation, whether literate, personal description (identifying marks such as tattoos or scars, etc.) and particulars of conviction - date, place, before whom, offence, sentence, remarks.
- AU WA S677 cons4198 1: Geraldton Prison. Register of Prisoners in Geraldton Gaol 1901-1931
Details can include name, number, description, offence, sentence, magistrate, district, marital status, if literate, age, nationality, birthplace, religion, occupation and dates of admission, committal and discharge.
- AU WA S797 cons4207 1-4: Fremantle Prison. Card Index of inmates of Geraldton Prison 1903-1972
Please contact State Records Office staff to arrange access to the records listed below.
- ACC 754/14: Mt Wittenoom Police Station. Return of prisoners confined in the Mt Wittenoom lockup 1880-1910
- AU WA S1824 cons1156 F30: Register of prisoners (numbers K1-570) confined in Newcastle Gaol 1898-1907
Shows name, nationality, birthplace, personal description, age, physical details, marital status, religion, trade, if could read or write and details of conviction.
- AU WA S1697 cons1385 1: Returns of prisoners confined in the Newcastle Gaol 1866-1876
Includes convicts and local prisoners. Details include number, name, sentence, date arrived and date of discharge.
- AU WA S1727 cons1325 1: Gaols Department. Register of Prisoners 1902-1932
The first few pages contain lists of prisoners monthly under the name of the prison for 1902. Most of the volume lists prisoners at the Northam Gaol 1907-1932. Details include name, offence, sentence, dates of incarceration and discharge and nationality.
- AU WA S1809 cons1156 F3-4: Perth Gaol. Registers of Local Prisoners 1876-1888
Arranged by prisoner number, the registers show name, convict number where applicable, class (expiree, free etc.), age, offence, sentence, where sentenced, trade, religion, prison character, dates of admission, committal and discharge, how disposed of.
- AU WA S261 cons3651 1-35: Supreme Court of Western Australia. Returns of persons committed for trial 1860-1887
If a transported convict, often shows ship of arrival and offence.
- AU WA S1925 cons1449 1: Roebourne Police Station. Register of Prisoners confined in the Roebourne Police Station gaol 1910-1961
Details include name, offence, sentence passed and dates.
Toodyay see Newcastle (above)
- AU WA S1664 cons1442 1: York Gaol. Register of Prisoners 1901-1948
Details include name (and any aliases), offence, sentence, district from, dates of admission, committal to trial and discharge, marital status, age, nationality, birthplace, religion and trade.
- AU WA S449 cons3904 1-34: Western Australian Police Department. Prisoner Photographs 1921-1948
These photographs of persons charged by the police are arranged in rough chronological order. There are usually three photographs of each person. Other details provided include name, height, colouring, dates and nature of charges. If relevant a gaol number is also given. Photographs were published in the Police Gazette of Western Australia.