Prior to 1976 Coroners inquests in Western Australia were destroyed after 10 years. However, there are sources where one can find some details of coroner's inquests. Details of inquests from the late 1800s and early 1900s can often be located in Colonial Secretary’s Office records and newspapers. Results of inquests were sometimes published in the Police Gazette of Western Australia, and an index to inquests, reported between 1876 and 1903 is available. For the 20th century reports of inquests can be located in newspapers (especially country newspapers) and local court records (see AN 17, Series Registration System and The Catalogue to locate local court records). Coroner's reports in court records may give a full report including evidence by various witnesses and verdict. Some coroner's records of interest are:
- AU WA S563 cons 563 1: Broome Courthouse. Register of Inquests 1941-1956
Shows name of deceased, date of death, age, date of inquest, witnesses, finding, remarks. Alphabetical index at front for some entries.
- ACC 544: Post Mortem Book 1904-1933. Kept by Resident Medical Officer, Carnarvon
- AU WA S1578 cons786 71: Clerk of Courts Cue. List of Coronial Enquiries 1905-1910
- AU WA S1578 cons786 388: Clerk of Courts Cue. Coronial Enquiries 1898
Loose folios regarding individual coronial enquiries.
- AU WA S1770 cons5261 1: Clerk of Courts Cue. Inquests and Coronial Enquiries 1941-1952
Details generally include names of persons involved, date and magistrate's name.
- AU WA S462 cons3931 1-44: Dongara Police Station. Reports for the Coroner 1964-1987
These are files raised for investigating sudden deaths and contain death certificates, police reports, post-mortem examinations and any other information required by the Coroner.
- ACC 2689: Leonora Courthouse. Inquest Minute Book 1904-1909
- ACC 1256/5: Onslow Police Station. Coroner's Inquests 1913-1927
- ACC 1482/2: Pingelly Police Station. Inquests Book 1921-1930
- ACC 1329: Yalgoo Coroner's Court. Coroner's Inquiry Book 1897-1948
- AU WA S161 cons3587 1: Supreme Court. Indexes to Inquests 1904-1911
Provides name of deceased and verdict (cause of death).