WA Biographical Index Files
The WA Biographical Index Files (WABI) consist of information and documents submitted to Rica Erickson for the compilation of the Dictionary of West Australians volumes 1-5 and the 4 volume Bicentennial Dictionary and from research gathered in the writing of her books. Most of the pre-1979 information was obtained by the submission of notes of the families concerned from memory and oral history. Later information was gathered using documentary proof and records such as church and burial registers, headstones etc. The name and address of the contributor of the file is given in most cases and family trees and copies of certificates from many countries and states of Australia are included.
The WABI was closed in March 1989 and additions and alterations to the card index are now only carried out with documentary proof. The files are arranged alphabetically by surname. The listing of all files is contained in MN 1217 and covers accession numbers 3710A-3769A, 3780A-3794A and 4223A. A breakdown of the collection by accession number can be viewed below.
All of the WABI files have been microfilmed. Digitised copies of index cards are available on the dataWA website, and a digitised copy of the 4 volume Bicentennial Dictionary of Western Australia may be accessed on the Friends of Battye Library Inc. website. The WABI resources on both websites are arranged alphabetically by surname. With the exception of ACC 10061A, all of the items listed below can be found in this collection: Western Australian biographical index collection
- ACC 3710A-3736A: Western Australian Biographical Index files
Basically alphabetical by surname of male line.
- ACC 3754A: Laskey Notes. Information from birth, death and marriage certificates
Photocopies of indexes of marriages, baptisms and burials and transcriptions of material from St Patrick’s - Fremantle, Albany, Dardanup, Geraldton, Guildford, Vasse, York, St Mary's - Perth (Catholic); Albany, Beverley, Busselton, Carnarvon, Gingin, Greenough, All Saints - Middle Swan, Mourambine, Narrogin, Pinjarra, Australind, Christchurch - Mandurah, Springhill, Rockingham, Mt Barker (Anglican); St James - Guildford (Wesleyan); Trinity Church - Perth (Congregational); and a list of ministers, laymen and Sisters of the People (Methodist).
- ACC 3755A: Various Catholic Church records
Marriage, baptismal and burial records for Fremantle, Dardanup, Geraldton, Guildford, Vasse and York (not all types of records held for all places). Mainly 1800s.
- ACC 3756A: Catholic Church, St Mary's, Perth
Baptisms 1844-1865 and 1896 and marriages 1849-1870.
- ACC 3757A: Various Anglican Church records
Marriage, baptismal and burial records for Albany, Beverley, Busselton, Carnarvon, Gingin, Greenough, Middle Swan, Mourambine, Narrogin and Pinjarra (not all types of records held for all places). Mainly late 1800s to early 1900s.
- ACC 3758A: Lists of Methodist Ministers, a few laymen and the Sisters of the People
- ACC 3759A: Wesley Church, St James, Guildford
Marriages 1883-1896 and baptisms 1856-1965.
- ACC 3760A: Roll of church members, Congregational Church, Perth
- ACC 3761A: Shipping Arrivals and Departure Files 1850-1868
Records are in an alphabetical sequence of ship arrivals and departures interstate and overseas. Passengers are listed with reference to source of information when possible.
- ACC 3762A: Shipping Arrivals and Departure Files 1869-1888
Chronological order for shipping arrivals and departures and contains listings of passengers as extracted from The Perth Gazette and The West Australian Times.
- ACC 3763A: Shipping Arrivals and Departure Files 1869-1889
Chronological order for shipping arrivals and departures and contains listings of passengers as extracted from The Inquirer and Albany Mail.
- ACC 3764A: Shipping Arrivals and Departure Files
- ACC 3765A: Colonial Secretary's Office Files
Colonial Secretary's Office passenger arrivals and poor relief extractions in alphabetical order.
- ACC 3766A: Alphabetical index of files on land 1850-1868
- ACC 3767A: Births, deaths and marriages 1850-1868
Newspaper extracts of births, deaths and marriages from The Inquirer and The West Australian.
- ACC 3768A: Various cemetery transcriptions; birth, death and marriage registers; biographical notes; genealogical tables; notes on Colonial Secretary's Office deaths, paupers, police, judiciary etc.
- ACC 3769A: Biographical information on Aborigines, part-Aborigines and European settlers
- ACC 3780A-3794A: Western Australian Biographical Index Convict Files
These are in alphabetical order and contain information used to compile Volume 2 of The Dictionary of Western Australians. Includes ticket-of-leave information (if found in ACC 1156 R Series), on where, when, rate of pay, to whom employed, for how long employed.
- ACC 3795A: Jan Young's notes
Cemetery transcriptions and transcriptions of births, deaths and marriages in the Avon Valley district - Toodyay, Northam and York areas.
- ACC 10061A: Cards used in the compilation of "Aborigines of New Norcia," Volume 7 of The Dictionary of Western Australians
The information is taken from indexes; baptismal, burial and marriage registers; accounts and census records.