Join the Library - it's free. Find out more.
Migrant Stories Collection Highlights
The State Library, supported by the Office of Multicultural Interests, worked with language teachers and members of the community to collect and digitise new Western Australian materials in languages other than English.
Below are links to a selection of collection highlights from the recently digitised collections that relate to different linguistic and cultural communities in Western Australia.
- Makedonski Opstinski Vesnik – Newsletter of the Macedonian Communities in Australia
- Japanese Perth Times
- The Chung Wah Newsletter
- Italian Prospectors’ camp at Menzies, 1930 Reginal Lambert, 3881B/202
- Swan Valley Kolo (dance) Group - Yugoslavs in the Swan Valley: photographs from the exhibition of 1987
- Senegalese Community Gathering, 2012 - Louise Whelan, BA2466/W3R1466
- The Burmese Association of Western Australia – newsletter - Burmese Association of W.A.
- Javanese Cook, north W.A., 1900 - E. C. Elliott, BA338/1/113
- Drawing of a European man offering an Afghani a frying-pan, probably after it was used in a non-halal manner, 1896 - Walker Hodgson, 090017PD
- Japanese men at Glenfield near Geraldton, including Shiosaki and Tommy (Yuerda) Yeshuara, approximately 1920 - 5533B/1
- View over Chinatown, Broome, 1925 - 5533B/3
- Vlase and Molly Zanalis at home, 21 Gray Street, Kalamunda, 1957 - Vlase Zanalis collection of photographs, BA2080/40
- Father Dario Brunetti blesses the press as the first issue of Il Canguro is printed at Gannon Bros Printers, Perth, 1955 - Merizzi collection of photographs, BA1626/40
- Manager of Air India with G.G. Merizzi and Air India flight attendants at the W.A. Italian Club, approximately 1968 - Merizzi collection of photographs, BA1626/79
- Andrew Mirkva with a group of labourers at Wittenoom, 1951 - Andrew Mirkva collection of photographs, BA2934/2