Join the library - it's free. Find out more »
The State Library holds a number of diaries that provide insight into European perspectives on life in the Swan River Colony. The diarists share their thoughts on the developing settlement and its location, as well as revealing aspects of their personal lives and experiences.
Some highlights of the collection include:
Mary Ann Friend Journal
Mary Ann Friend kept a journal as she travelled from Portsmouth to Hobart aboard the Wanstead. During the journey she and her husband, Captain Matthew Friend, visited the Swan River Colony within its first eight months. They stayed in the colony for just under seven weeks. Friend’s journal contains one of the earliest accounts of the Swan River Colony. The original journal was acquired by the State Library with the assistance of the Australian Government through the National Cultural Heritage Account.
Frances Louisa Bussell Diaries
Frances Louisa Bussell diaries
18 September – 20 October 1832
17 December 1832 – 3 February 1833
3 - 16 November 1833
17 November - 2 December 1833
January - 23 December 1835
7 February - 22 March 1836
10 April - 4 December 1836
The Bussells were a prominent family in Western Australia’s colonial history and they were prolific letter writers and diarists. The State Library holds a large collection of private archival material relating to the family (some 13 shelf metres). The diaries by Frances Louisa Bussell, along with other archival records like the Molloy diaries below, were purchased at auction in 2007 with assistance from the National Cultural Heritage Account, the descendants of Frederick Aloysius Weld Bussell, Busselton Shire Council and the State Library of Western Australia
John and Georgiana Molloy Diaries
Georgiana Molloy was an amateur botanist who collected many specimens for James Mangles in England. Molloy took particular care with describing and packaging the specimens, which made her stand out from others sending plant specimens back to England. She and her husband lived in Augusta for a short time before moving to the Vasse River in 1839.