New: Aboriginal Languages Collection
This new collection is available for loan, supports Aboriginal language learning and encourages the speaking of traditional languages.
The collection was developed and made available to clients in the United Nations 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages. It is housed in the languages and literacy hub on the 1st floor.
Features of the collection include:
• Collection is discrete and shelved separately from the other language and literacy collections in a separate mobile bay.
• Unique spine labels indicate, where possible, the language of the resource.
• Enhanced cataloguing includes specific language codes and uniform spelling.
• Four main language regions in the collection are South West, Goldfields, Western Desert and Pilbara.
• Eight languages, with Noongar dialects making up the majority.
• Print resources are supplemented by posters, audio CD, DVD and maps – posters and maps will be available from January 2020.
• Works are mono-lingual or bi-lingual.