Most early passenger lists found in the Colonial Secretary’s Office records and early newspapers have been indexed. These indexes can be found in both the Battye Library & State Records Office.
- Arrivals Index (Fremantle) 1829-1890 (microfiche). Provides name of passenger, date of arrival and name of ship.
- Arrivals Index (Western Australia) 1839-1890 (CD-ROM). Provides name of passenger, date of arrival, name of ship, plus any other details from the passenger list. includes arrivals to Esperance to 1896.
- Arrivals Index (Fremantle) 1885-1908 (Microfiche). Inward from Eastern States. Note that only some passenger lists in this period have been indexed.
- Arrivals Index (Western Australia) 1898-1925 (CD-ROM). This indexes passenger arrivals to Fremantle and provides the name of the passenger, the name of the ship, the date of arrival, plus any other details from the passenger list, such as class, occupation, age etc. It is not yet completed.
- Arrivals Index (Fremantle) January 1921-January 1950 (On-line Index). This index was created by the National Archives of Australia (via RecordSearch) from passenger lists held by the Archives. It provides name, name of ship, date of arrival, records associated with etc.
- Arrivals Index (Albany) 1873-1899 (microfiche). Shows only passengers from overseas.
- Arrivals Index (Albany) 1900-1925 (microfiche). Shows only passengers from overseas.
- Arrivals Index (Albany) 1873-1924 (microfiche) Inward from Eastern States. Note that only some passenger lists in this period have been indexed.
- Ships Index (All Ports) 1829-1890 (microfiche). Provides information on the location of passenger lists in the Battye Library and the State Records Office.
The following passenger and crew lists are held in the State Records Office. Some have been indexed and digitised and are available on Ancestry library edition which can be accessed in the State Library building and in most public libraries in Western Australia.
- Accession 108:
Item 1: Overseas and intercolonial passenger lists, inward and outward 1873-1900 (microfilm)
Item 2: Inward passenger lists from overseas 1900-1932 (microfilm)
Item 3: Inward and outward crew lists 1900-1929 (microfilm)
Item 4: Inward and outward passenger and crew lists from Whaling ships 1873-1888 (microfilm)
Item 5: Outward passenger and crew lists to Eastern States 1873-1929 (microfilm)
Item 6: Inward passenger and crew lists from Eastern States 1873-1930 (microfilm)
Items 7&8: Inward and outward passenger and crew lists from Fremantle 1873-1927 (microfilm)
Item 9: Inward and outward passenger and crew lists, alphabetically by ship’s name (microfilm)
Item 10: Inward and outward passenger lists for coastal shipping 1874-1923 (microfilm)
Item 11: Outward passenger and crew lists 1873-1929 (microfilm)
- Accession 110: Outward passengers 1888-1891, 1895, 1903-1923 (microfilm)
- Accession 111: Register of inward passengers from Eastern States and overseas 1888-1924 (microfilm)
- Accession 113: Register of inward and outward passengers 1893-1896 (microfilm)
- Accession 782: Arrivals and departures 1899-1903 (original)*
- Accession 115: Lists of emigrants by Colonial Land and Emigration Commissioner’s ships 1851-1867 (microfilm)
- Accession 128: Lists and description of convicts 1850-1868 (microfilm)
- Accession 297: Inward from overseas 1829 & 1830 (microfilm – L&S Red No. 657)
- Accession 457: Inward from Eastern States and few from overseas 1898-1911 (microfilm). Inward from Eastern States 1912-1915 (microfilm). Outward to Eastern States 1898-1915 (microfilm)
- Accession 503: Inward passenger and crew lists, manifests 1880-1898 (microfilm)
- Accession 633: Lists of immigrants 1876 & 1877 (microfilm)
See also newspaper reports.
Note:These sometimes only list cabin passengers, and not always steerage passengers.
National Archives Passenger Lists 1898-1963
The Battye Library has acquired from the Western Australian Branch of the National Archives, an almost complete collection of Inward passenger manifests for ships and aircraft arriving at Fremantle and Perth Airport: chronological series, January 1898-December 1963. These microfilms are housed in the Battye Library’s microfilm room. Chronological and alphabetical indexes to ship arrivals are kept at the Enquiry Desk.
Other State Records Office Resources
- Lands and Surveys Department Records:
The Lands and Surveys Department were responsible for state immigration from the early 1920s to 1973. Consequently there are files on the operation of state assisted immigration contained in the Lands and Surveys general correspondence series. Also immigration files relating to the War Service Settlement Scheme. (See AN320, AN3, WAA42)
- Agent General Files:
Files may contain immigration information for the period 1900s-1920s (See AN216)
These are sometimes mentioned in Colonial Secretary’s Office records (in the State Records Office) and newspapers (in the Battye Library), but they are not systematically indexed. The Dictionary of Western Australians 1829-1914 notes some departures.
Shipping Registers And Manifests held in the State Records OfficeShipping registers and manifests give valuable information about arrivals and departures of ships plus numbers of passengers and cargo. All registers and manifests are available in the State Records Office Search Room on the ground floor of the State Library.
- Accession 1074: Shipping Registers 1868-1884
- Accession 112: Arrivals and departures of ships 1881-1896, 1902
- Accession 726: Albany Harbour Master Shipping Registers 1884-1942
- Accession 109: Shipping manifests 1899-1901
- Accession 114: Arrivals and departures of ships 1860-1866
- Accession 1076: Shipping Registers 1833-1984
Page last updated: Wednesday 8 February 2012