Western Australian Government Records

Government records and files

Government departments and agencies hold files and records that are vital for people researching their Aboriginal family history.

The following government departments can support your family history research:

State Records Office of Western Australia

The State Records Office has responsibility for managing, preserving and providing access to government records in Western Australia. This includes many records from the establishment of the colony such as those recorded in the Colonial Secretary's Office from 1828, as well as records from successive government departments administering policies which impacted on the lives of Aboriginal people from 1891 through to the 1970's. They have also published a names index to the Chief Protector of Aborigines and this can be accessed online through their website. Visit their website for more information.

The Aboriginal History Research Unit within the Department of Indigenous Affairs can provide research support for State government records about Aboriginal people and families in Western Australia. They also hold the prominent Tindale Photographic collection which contains images of Aboriginal people and the land across Western Australia. Visit their website for more information.

DCP Personal and Family Information Aboriginal and former Wards Records

The Department of Child Protection, can trace personal and family histories for those people and families associated with children who were taken into the care of child welfare authorities. They also hold personal information relating to many Aboriginal people and families in Western Australia with some records dating back to before 1920. Visit their website for more information.

How to apply for information

Information contained within government records and files is often highly sensitive. It is only accessible to direct family members to protect the privacy of individuals and families. Application forms and release of consent forms can be downloaded from the Department of Indigenous Affairs website. They can also provide support for completing an application form. Visit their website for guidelines or contact them for more information.


Share this page   share on Facebook share on Twitter share on stumbleupon

Page last updated: Thursday 27 February 2014

printer friendly